January 26, 2009

Gardening in the Snow?


I know it seems a bit early to be thinking about gardening but I actually started thinking about the coming garden season back before Christmas. That's when it looked like this near my home. It's really is much worse now as I'm looking at the thermometer say 13 degrees. Anyhow, I ordered my seeds from Pinetree Garden Seeds the day after Christmas. I think of it as a gift to myself. I started planting my own seeds pretty much as soon as I started gardening and saw how expensive plants at the nursery were. Don't get me wrong, I like wandering around a plant nursery as much as the next plantaholic but my checkbook sputters when I get near the cash register. I like to call myself a frugal gardener. That sounds so much better than cheapskate. Besides why would I buy 20 pansies for $27 when I could grow at least 50 for $1.99. Ok, I rest my point. That leads me to where I am now. In a few days I'll be starting my earliest seeds and I'd like you, dear reader, to come along for the journey from seed to bloom. I'll be posting my success and failures along the way and showing you how easy it is to get started planting your own seeds. I hope that I can inspire new gardeners and old alike.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the blog and the photos. They are glorious.

Fantastic Forrest said...

Can't wait to see your little seedlings! This just may be the year we start a garden. :)