August 6, 2009

Kamikaze Attack

This is what all my rose buds look like right now. Seriously! The kamikaze attack by the Japanese Beetle is in full swing. I actually lowered my organic gardening standards and I've sprayed twice with Sevin and they still come back in hordes. I do go out and shake them into a bucket of soapy water twice a day but it looks like I won't have any roses until September when they diminish. I think they are in full reproductive mode and hopefully will slow down soon. I've applied Milky Spore Disease for the past 3 years but I think they just keep flying in. I read somewhere that they fly in from 5 miles away so unless everyone in your neighborhood is battling them you're bound to have some in your garden if you live east of the Mississippi River. In my experience they love roses, raspberries, hibiscus, dahlias, grapes and morning glories. In the no good deed goes unpunished category they were imported in the early 20th century to eat aphids. I have to admit I don't have an aphid problem so maybe that's the bright side.

2 comments:

garden girl said...

Yikes! I guess I should be glad it's too shady here for roses. I have a couple of mini-roses, but they bloom before the Japanese beetles are out.

Now I know what's probably eating my grape leaves - I haven't seen them on it, but there are lots of holey leaves.

MrBrownthumb @ Chicago Garden said...

Wow, I only see one or two a year and I feel lucky to get a chance to experience them.

Would hate to be in your shoes though.