July 7, 2010

Raspberries Galore

The raspberries are here! Thankfully my neighbor called and told me that my raspberries were ripe. I don't usually have to get a voicemail to tell me when to harvest my raspberries but I had just got back from a lovely family reunion in Oregon and I still hadn't been out in the garden yet. Her timing was spot on and I immediately went out and picked some. I wish I could tell you what varieties I have but I don't remember. I do know that the ones I transplanted from my mother's garden in Washington are much better than the ones I had. Strangely enough those also seem to not be bothered as much by the dreaded Japanese beetles. Oh, they are still eating a few but at least I'm harvesting more berries than beetles. I'm eating lots of them fresh but I also am freezing some for raspberry sorbet.

1 comment:

garden girl said...

Yum, they look beautiful and delicious Rachel. I love raspberries. I planted a few a couple of years ago, and the rabbits promptly ate the plants to the ground. I may try again with woodier specimens - the ones I bought were young and the canes were all green.